We had sandwiches for dinner twice this week.
Baked mustardy tempeh sandwiches with tahini, more mustard, veggies and some pickles from Thirty Acre Farm.
Baked Mustardy Tempeh
- An eight ounce package of tempeh
- 3/4 Cu. cider (from Ricker Hill of course)
- 2 Tbs. of tamari
- 2 Tbs. of a whole grain, country mustard
- 1/2 tsp each of cumin and caraway seeds, toasted briefly and ground in a mortar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
Make sadwiches from the tempeh and mustard, some tahini loosened with hot water and also sauerkraut or just lettuce, onions and tomatoes. These are excellent vegan sandwiches.
Next up, grilled tuna burgers, which are more of a summery dish, but somehow we ended up having them anyway.
I don't know how we ended up with a trendy book like Bobby Flay's Grilling for Life but we did and it actually has a bunch of great recipes in it, like these burgers.
Grilled Tuna Burgers
Adapted from Bobby Flay, Grilling for Life (2005)
- 2 1/2 Tbs. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. of a light oil
- 1 Tbs. of chipotle chilis from the can blended together with their adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs. lime juice and take the zest from the lime as well
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 scallions, sliced or roughly chopped
- 2 - 3 Tbs. finely chopped cilantro
- salt; pepper
- 2 lbs. fresh tuna (make it the good stuff, don't stint on the tuna), finely chopped (preferably by hand rather than by robot)
We had these burgers with a shaved fennel, orange and pomegranite salad that was really amazing and will be the subject of a future post.