06 May 2009

Trendy Springtime Eating: Ramps, Sorrel, Rhubarb!

My take from this afternoon's Farmers' Market:

  • Fiddleheads
  • Chives
  • Shallots
  • Sauerkraut
  • Sorrel
  • Rhubarb
  • Catnip
  • Flowers
I knew I wanted to do something with the sorrel. Some recipes for sorrel "pesto" over here looked good, so I made one from a bag of sorrel from L & A Farms, 5 or 6 ramps from Rosemont Market & Bakery, a dozen chives from Thirty Acre Farms, a couple handfuls of pine nuts and about 1/3 of a cup of olive oil.


Things I learned: a salad spinner works really well to dry steamed or washed fiddleheads so they can be sauteéd. I guess that should have been obvious to me before now.

Also: we're working on an excellent rhubarb crisp. Tonight's breakthrough was adding Grand Marnier and ginger juice. Next job is to get the right amount of crisp to rhubarb.

No comments: