The Crown of Maine order through the Food Now! buying club left us with a huge bag of red potatoes and an extra dozen eggs from Sonnental Dairy. Lots of potatoes and eggs is perfect for making a Spanish tortilla, and, as it happened, we needed a something to bring to a potluck brunch.
- 1.5 to 1.75 pounds of potatoes, peeled and sliced in a mandolin (say 1/8-inch thick);
- 8 eggs, whipped (but not too much) in a large bowl;
- 1 leek, chopped;
- 12 asparagus stalks, blanched and cut into short segments;
- 0.5 to 0.75 cups of green peas;
- 1 red pepper, roasted on the grill, peeled, seeded and diced;
- 1 small bunch of chives, parsley or whatever fresh herbs seem to fit; and
- lots of olive oil!
I've read that these tortillas are sometimes served with gherkins and olives so I made a mixture of niçoise olives, cornichons and diced roasted red pepper. I was skeptical at first but I think this adds just the missing element to the tortilla. A highly recommended accompaniment.